Keep up with Amma
The City Council has been urged to "instill fear" against the yobs who continue to destroy the new children's play area in Lurgan Park.
After being targeted on Friday night, the play area was closed all day on Saturday and Sunday-the latest in a series of incidents since it opened earlier this year.
DUP Alderman Stephen Moutray called for action to "try to reverse the situation" and to hold those responsible.
"The weekend caught my attention. The new playground in Lurgan Park is closed all day on Saturday and all day on Sunday. Given the clear weather on our weekend, it's a shame that kids can't enter it," he said at the city council plenary meeting on Monday night .
"This really worries me. I talked to some staff and they said that there are often young people in the park after get off work; now it closes at six o'clock in the evening.
"I think we need to try to reverse the situation here; we need to be afraid of young people entering and destroying the children’s playground. I just ask the officials to accept this and do everything they can to help the park staff, but we also need the participation of PSNI here. Because it is unacceptable.
"When you spend a weekend like us-the weather is good for the whole weekend-I know a pair of grandparents came from Monaghan to take their grandson to the park and found out that the playground was closed. This is very shameful. deal with.
"We need to gain the upper hand here and instill a little fear in the people doing this in the park."
Louise McKinstry, member of the Ulster Trade Union, agreed with Alderman Moutray’s comments and added: “It’s a pity that this beautiful park in our district and the funds used to update the amusement equipment there. This is not the first time that the park has been reopened. destroy.
"This is so frustrating. And I know as elected members we have met with the PCSP to discuss ways of tackling antisocial behaviour in the area, and really, it's just so disappointing and frustrating that this continues to happen."
Union Member Peter Lavery asked the council when it would repair the underground trampoline that had been discontinued since the summer due to vandalism.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.
The project is partially funded by the Ministry of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs and the European Union under Priority 6 (Leader) of the Northern Ireland Rural Development Plan 2014-2020.